The MAP (My Academic Plan) is an individualized study plan that helps all first-year students transition from high school to college. All first-year students at UNC will be held to a minimum requirement of a weekly meeting along with a specified academic plan. Depending on the students’ academic achievements, some student-athletes may stay within the MAP program longer than others.
Some objectives of the MAP are:
- Help with the transition from high school (or their transferred school) to UNC’s rigorous curriculum requirements
- Balance demands of academic & athletic responsibilities
- Provide academic preparation & academic support
- Encourage effective study skills & time management skills
- Foster self-reliance
- Support independent learning
These objectives are accomplished using some of the following components: Weekly or daily meeting(s) with an athletic academic counselor
- Individual or Group tutoring
- Independent or guided study
- Appointments with learning specialists or assistant learning specialists
- Task-based assignments
A visual diagram of the MAP is provided below.
<—–Click to enlarge